FEOA Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had a new thermostat put in about a month ago and i see a little bit of coolant leaking when the car is parked (saw a little puddle this morning when it was parked). The car isnt overheating but the temp gauge stays near the a and the l in normal.

The coolant is leaking from under the coolant compartment.

Somebody help me understand what is going on???

·
Registered
93 Posts
When you got the new thermostat, someone either didn't put coolant hoses correctly, or the hose connection to something else (like the readiator, or where it connects to the engine) was disturbed, and it is leaking coolant.

·
Registered
15,318 Posts
EscorGo said:
What's a coolant compartment? :scratch:
I was wondering the same thing. That and it sounds like it's running hot. It should look about like this when warmed up:

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I'm going to guess coolant compartment is the overflow tank. And my EGT will go all the way to between the R and M on a cold start and then drop like a rock to just under the N. My car also has a small coolant leak, but only when the car is cold, but I think it's the silly design of these radiators and how the tanks sit.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I doubt that. I never had my rad leak and I got the original FORD unit in place yet with well over 200,000 and will be 19 years in 2 weeks since I bought the car.

It expands when it heats up and closes the leak. Keep an eye on that as it may just let loose someday.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Sounds like the end tank(s) on the radiator. I've had one that leaked a few ounces over the course of several months. I did the 'cheap' fix on that one and used a Vice Grip, set about 1mm tighter (with the adjuster knob taped in place) than the existing crimp on the tank tabs...went all the way around and no more leaks for the additional 218K I put on it... ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts