FEOA Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Administrator
39,454 Posts
you would need a tempo or something to scavenge parts from. i dont recall it ever being actually done before. there is a bunch of fitment issues. not just engine/trans ... axles, spindles struts,.. it will be a completely custom job.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’m thinking about swapping my cvh 1.9 with a mustang 2.3 engine. Any recommendations or ideas? And what fed transmission can I attach to that motor?
What would be a quick and easy swap? I’m a fabricator so I’m not too worried about any customizations but I need to get more power out of this little car. Any ideas?

·
Registered
288 Posts
2.3l like why? the HO 1.9l is better and lighter. the ztech from a 3rd gen is the best swap in my option. From what I know its wiring and motor mounts. The HO from a GT or EXP would be far less work. Just a wire harness swap, no fabbing or anything. The lx has a 90hp motor and the 1.9l HO is a 110-115hp motor depending on the year. I believe the ztech is 120hp but you also have a ton of options for mods on the ztech.

·
Administrator
39,454 Posts
What would be a quick and easy swap?
there is none. the swaps that have been done are klze v6, or simply just turbo the 1.9. the thing about the 1g is its wider than a 2g or 3g, so you would need custom length axles among many other parts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2.3l like why? the HO 1.9l is better and lighter. the ztech from a 3rd gen is the best swap in my option. From what I know its wiring and motor mounts. The HO from a GT or EXP would be far less work. Just a wire harness swap, no fabbing or anything. The lx has a 90hp motor and the 1.9l HO is a 110-115hp motor depending on the year. I believe the ztech is 120hp but you also have a ton of options for mods on the ztech.
What about a head swap? Put the HO head on the lx motor?

·
Administrator
39,454 Posts
ztech from a 3rd gen mate to a first gens trans, from what I know it's only motor mounts and wiring.
ztech block is very similar to a spi motor. the first gen trans has a different bolt pattern than a second gen. also the struts, spindles, brakes, control arms are all different. i dont recall ever seeing a 1g swapped to a 2/3g engine before due to the major differences. its much more than just motor mounts and wiring, its a completely different body.

What about a head swap? Put the HO head on the lx motor?
you could do that, you would need all the supporting HO head components,.. intake, wiring, basically need a doner car

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,041 Posts
ztech block is very similar to a spi motor. the first gen trans has a different bolt pattern than a second gen. also the struts, spindles, brakes, control arms are all different. i dont recall ever seeing a 1g swapped to a 2/3g engine before due to the major differences. its much more than just motor mounts and wiring, its a completely different body.
The CVH bell housing pattern IS the same on all variants, regardless of the year. So a Zetec WILL bolt to a 1st gen transmission. Yes, it's been done before.

Reactions: Falconnest

·
Administrator
39,454 Posts
interesting, I dont remember seeing that, although that post is many years old. what was I thinking of then? maybe it was some other difference, like the starter being on the front? I remember when I put a trans in my 2g once the jy sent a 1g trans and it didn't work for some reason, must have been the starter. well thanks for clarifying,

·
Registered
25 Posts
Difficult but best swap is to put a 351w in it.

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,041 Posts
Difficult but best swap is to put a 351w in it.
If you were going to go through all that work, an LS3 or Coyote V8 is probably better. Huge weight savings over a 351 and just as much power potential.

Reactions: BigBad

·
Registered
25 Posts
You have a valid point, but there are issues with getting both the LS and the Coyote to fit when it comes to the bottom of the engine. The 351w has a double hump pan that worked much better with the fox style rack and pinion steering and the tube chassis K member setup. The power and over engine would have been better with the LS, but I just could not figure out a way to get the steering geometry to work out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tire Vehicle

·
Registered
1998 ZX2
10,041 Posts
You have a valid point, but there are issues with getting both the LS and the Coyote to fit when it comes to the bottom of the engine. The 351w has a double hump pan that worked much better with the fox style rack and pinion steering and the tube chassis K member setup. The power and over engine would have been better with the LS, but I just could not figure out a way to get the steering geometry to work out.
That's why you get an aftermarket pan. For an LS, the choices are virtually endless. But what's done is done.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts