FEOA Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I advance the cam timing by moving the cam gear 1 vtooth on the timing belt and if so which way would I go. I run the car on a dirt track.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Loosen the distributor retaining bolts and turn the distributor clockwise to advanced the timing. That should give you enough, anymore and the car won't want to run. Remember to retighten the retaining bolts.

·
Registered
22 Posts
First you need to determine how many degrees a tooth will chamge the cam timing, if it is more than 5 or 6 degrees I would not recomend it.
Plane the head for more compression and this will also advance the cam timing slightly

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
It'll advance or retard the cam timing, which will affect mechanical timing as well as the ignition. If you want to advance ignition timing, just turn the distributor and watch the timing marks with a light. Remember to disconnect the SPOUT jumper (gray or black block by the TFI module). If you don't, the ECU will control the spark timing, and that won't look right when you're trying to tweak it. DO NOT move the timing belt by one tooth on the cam: that's equivalent to 12 degrees of mechanical time, and your engine will run like it's missing a cylinder. I personally run 12 degrees BTDC on the ignition timing. Stock is 8. I also run premium gas, so don't be messing with the timing much unless you want to stick better fuel in.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts