FEOA Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my 95 Scort checked out as I'm taking a 2,000 mile trip in a week and a half. I know I'm probably fine, but I don't know what the proper ranges are for this motor (new vs a worn engine). I was about 140-145psi across the board. I have a 95 LX with 135k miles on it. I just changed the oil and added Restore about a week before the test. I'm getting about 2500 per quart of oil normally. I figure the car will probably outlast me. It still has no problem getting to triple digits if I ask it to. This is an old video of the car. I've added a kill switch and front/rear cameras to the interior (dashcam) since then.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! So I'm a little low, but nothing terrible. I had a shop (that I trust) do it, but I usually do most of my own work. The only reason I took it in was for a second set of eyes and to replace a right CV joint. My numbers were 1- 140, 2- 145, 3- 140, 4- 135.

·
Administrator
39,450 Posts
those numbers are what you would expect from that age... only thing i would suggest is to replace your radiator cap before the trip. 99% of cvh failures are coolant related.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Already done. I think my cap is a few years old, but it's not original.

·
Registered
296 Posts
My first 93 1.9 didn't start burning any oil until about 200,000 miles.... mostly rural driven. I wouldn't be surprised if your valve seals are getting hard and not sealing well at that age. With improved aero, my second 93 hit around 50 mpg highway holding a steady 62 or so over a 5 hour trip. These engines go to lean burn during long term low load.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, my new car standard is 3500-4000 a quart, which is also my oil change interval for new cars. I change oil by color because it's a good indication of how your rings and valves are. If my car takes 1000 miles to go from the new golden color to a little darker (not brown), then I use a 3500-4000 interval. If it takes 500 miles, then I adjust accordingly, say 2500-3000. But I haven't bought anything new since 2009.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts