FEOA Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody have any leads on a set of 1.8 Valve Cover Bolts for a 1993 LX-E?

There are a total of eleven (11) and they shear off easily.

Just FYI, the part is discontinued and obsoleted by Ford. Any substitute advice welcome.

I need 4 by the way.

Many thanks

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
JUNKYARD FTW!!! I picked up a set for my car at a bone yard, they fit so nice in your pocket.

if they're breaking they are too tight, they only need to be like 5 ft lbs just snug.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Metric Stainless Steel bolts from the hardware store worked for me when I snapped mine off. I wasn't looking for beautiful, just functional. Torque specs show 15 INCH POUNDS followed with 30 INCH POUNDS. If you don't have an inch pound torque wrench then use a 1/4" ratchet and just "snug" them down.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
yeah that's what I did just a little 1/4 inch drive ratchet and tightened them down snug, put your hand on the inside of the handle not out the outside and just turn till you feel it give some resistance and you're done! also if you take the valve cover off and put a new gasket on don't forget your little dabs of silicone by the humps for the cams and distributor ;)

·
Registered
2,679 Posts
get some from a mazda with a bp from the jy. they are different than the ford ones. they look much nicer and i'm willing to bet they're stronger.

·
Registered
5,792 Posts
It was only 95 degrees out side instead of 102, so I decidedto finally put on my new valve cover gasket and distributor gasket. My inch pound torque wrench dosen't get used much so I had to wipe the dust off it. :lol:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the tips.

I'll check at Mazda locally for cost.

Also btw the bolts specs are 6mm diameter, 1 pitch x 40 mm length.

For a cheap option I found that Ace Hardware carries flared hex head examples for .70 each. They're in the metric pull out drawers and closely resemble stock but for the head.

The stupid snap came with a torque wrench set to 7lbs.

Gracias! :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.