Engine SPI head on Zetec block, pistons

Discussion in '3rd Gen 1997-2002 2.0L SOHC' started by DatsunGuy, Feb 1, 2017.

1. DatsunGuy

DatsunGuy FEOA Member

Its came to my attention that I will just have to get a Zetec block for my SPI rebuild. No SPI's in my yards that don't have dropped seat damage. I don't want the low compression from using the zetec pistons, could I just put SPI pistons on the zetec rods? Also, could I plug the zetecs extra oil return holes with JB weld or the like, so I won't have to press brass pins in and have the block shaved? Kinda doing this in the cheap, I just want my car running
  2. Gamer92

Gamer92 FEOA Donator

Where are you located?
  3. DatsunGuy

DatsunGuy FEOA Member

Louisiana
  4. Gamer92

Gamer92 FEOA Donator

Is there Damage to your block? These engines can be rebuilt for around 6-700 bucks
  5. DatsunGuy

DatsunGuy FEOA Member

A crake in the deck from overheating. I already sent most of my budget in a new head and all seals and gaskets, don't have much left for a rebuilt block. My junkyards sells short blocks for $100, but none of the 7-8 spis are any good..
  6. Gamer92

Gamer92 FEOA Donator

Not all valve seats destroy the blocks.

You may be able to find one on eBay
  7. DatsunGuy

DatsunGuy FEOA Member

I used my bore score and the cylinder walls are shot, usually on #4, sometimes all. I been checking eBay no luck yet
  8. ShakeZilla19

ShakeZilla19 My name is ^^^

Why not just swap to a full Zetec? It is a quick, cheap, and simple swap. The flow comes from the head not the block. You get 20+ horses right off the bat with none of the franken motor crap. The waterpump will also need to be modified.

Youve prob read this but here..
    http://www.quantums.info/zvh.htm
  9. DatsunGuy

DatsunGuy FEOA Member

I really should have just done that to start. But went dumb and bought a new SPI head, modded focus intake mani and loads of gaskets and such before searching out a block. And trying to sell off the SPI stuff wouldn't even get me half what I have into it, not that there's many people lining up to buy SPI stuff..
  10. Gamer92

Gamer92 FEOA Donator

pap.PNG Are any of these cities close to you?
    DatsunGuy likes this.
  11. DatsunGuy

DatsunGuy FEOA Member

Those are 3-5 hours south of me, was looking like that would be my best bet but, just found a 95 1.9 that looked to have been in great shape, just a hour north of me. No dropped seats, car was rear-ended. Now, I know that will put me at 8:1 cr, but I DO have a lot of turbo parts laying around, and before my car blew I had been wanting to boost it. Hmmm.... be a juvenile and boost my daily, or be reasonable and keep it stock/mild. The low comp should make it pretty safe and reliable on low boost I would think