Serpentine belt keeps coming off

Discussion in 'ZX2 1998-2004 2.0L DOHC' started by scooterdad, Feb 14, 2010.

1. scooterdad

scooterdad New Member

I removed my the plastic under guard from the bottom of the car and now. The serpentine belt keeps coming off when it rains or when it gets wet but, i also had the headgasket done I'm thinking that a pulley is not lined up right. what do you guys think Help please thank you all
  2. pextor

pextor Moderator Staff Member

did you/they replace the idler(s)?

if the timing belt tension is too tight, or too loose it will ride in or out.
  3. LOWETGT

LOWETGT FEOA Member

I don't know about the 2.0L belt issues, but you did mention you removed a splash shield. Dodge Caravans are known for the same issue in rain and snow. It is so common that Gates belt company designed some new pulleys and a double sided serpentine belt, like the newer VWs to combat problem. If you tensioner and accessories are good and you put your splash shield back, the problem might stop.
  4. ZX2Fast

ZX2Fast New Member

I have the spalsh guard off of both my ZX2's without issue. I've known others with issues, but they were fixed when they replaced a bad pulley. If the tensioner is weak or a bearing has too much play the belt will come off when it gets wet.
  5. scooterdad

scooterdad New Member

Thanks Guys I was thinking it was a pulley to so I'll let my buddy take a look at it he knows more then i do.
  6. metrotps

metrotps New Member

Everett, Washington " The Everwet State "
    If you do not have them water gets on the belt and pulleys. It will the cause the belt to hydroplane off. Also my friend, a former Ford master tech with 17 years experience, just replaced the serpentine belt tensioner on my 1999 ZX2. It looked alright when I replaced the belt, but when I was backing out of my carport a week later the battery light came on and the power steering went away. So back into the carport it went and I opened the hood to find the Ford tensioner broken in half. The bearing in the pulley was toast also. All the serpentine parts were replaced at a Ford dealer at 66,545 miles and car has 154,080 on it now when failure happened.
  7. scooterdad

scooterdad New Member

Thanks Guys The job is done it was the Tensioner I change it . Now I remember why i don't like working on this car ford made it so difficult to get to everything I had to drop the motor to get to the tensioner and it was still a pain in my butt.
  8. fireguy

fireguy New Member

Take out the power steering and AC components ;)

I have found this car to be pretty easy to work on from what I have done with it compared to any other car I've owned.
  9. ZX2Fast

ZX2Fast New Member

I changed a tensioner without removing anything but the belt.