Radio problem--lights but no sound

Discussion in 'Tech & Repair' started by Hazel, Jun 5, 2010.

1. Hazel

Hazel New Member

Just replaced the battery in my '98 ZX2, and now there's no sound from the stereo. All the lights and controls work--time, radio station, volume, etc., but no sound.

From what I've found on the rest of the internet, I think I either need to find and input a code or possibly replace the speakers. All fuses under both the hood and the dash check out. Any advice? If it is the code, how do I get it?
  2. FordMan59

FordMan59 FEOA Member

I would guess your problem is that you have to restore a code to the radio after disconnecting the battery. If you have the owners manual the code may be listed in it. Otherwise you'll probably have to contact a Ford dealer to get the code. If all you did was replace the battery that wouldn't have had any effect on the speakers.
  3. Hazel

Hazel New Member

Thanks! That's what I figured. I looked in the repair manual, but the only thing it said about the system was "see Radio Guide" or something of the sort, which is less than helpful. I'll see what I can find in the way of dealerships, then. Just any will do, right? Thanks again!
  4. pextor

pextor Moderator Staff Member

the factory radio has no code.

does you car have a 6 disc changer in the trunk?
  5. Hazel

Hazel New Member

Yeah, it does.
  6. pextor

your car has premium sound, it'll say so on the tape deck flap.

the problem is most likely in the amplifier, which is mounted under one of the seats.

If you can find what wires are what on the amplifier, you can verify that you are getting 12 volts to the amplifier for power and the "turn on" lead. I don't know which wire to look for unfortunately.
  7. Hazel

Hazel New Member

Thanks a lot. I'll let you know what I can figure out.
  8. racerboy

racerboy FEOA Member

My 2001 taurus wagon has this problem too! Could this also apply to the taurus?
  9. pextor

I think your car has the actual brains of the radio in the rear area somewhere, behind a panel. the unit in the dash is just the interface/tape player. sounds like thats when you need to go to troubleshoot your issue.
  10. racerboy

racerboy FEOA Member

I already replaced the head unit with one from a junkyard, so what you said makes sense. I'll go take a look at it one of these days....
  11. Hazel

Hazel New Member

So, I've been looking at everything a bit more, and it may actually be more complicated. The CD changer in the trunk isn't opening, and when I try to change the radio to it, it says "No DJ". Is this the same problem as the sound issue, and could it still be the amp? It'd be nice to have a circuit diagram with all of this on it...
  12. pextor

that sounds like a blown fuse.

does the horn work? does the cigar lighter work?
  13. Hazel

Hazel New Member

All fuses have been checked and are good. The horn and cigarette lighter both work. The horn has trouble stopping when I press it, but that feels more like a mechanical problem in the wheel itself.
  14. pextor

yeah, the horn buttons tend to get "depressed" and stay on permanently, or come on at random times (3AM usually).