Suspension performance parts for exp.

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Jade, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Jade

Jade FEOA Member

I have an 88 exp and wanted to put some better suspensions on it.
    Basically I want it to handle better. I don't really care all that much about ride quality but I'd like to keep it drivable every day.

My main problem is how bad the body roll and understeer around conners and the car is very sketchy on gravel.
    I mostly drive it on Ohio windy back roads. So it sees a lot of dirt, gravel and hard turns.
    Basically think weekend rally/scca racer. I don't race the car or anything, I just drive the car hard.

I'm not finding much anything anything aftermarket in the performance department other then stuff over seas. And I don't think euro 3rd gen stuff will work with a exp other then strut bars.

I'm thinking my best bet is to replace everything with the best parts I can find.
    Then put a strut bar on the front/back, reinforce week body parts.
    I don't want to go full on custom, so I'd like to keep simple replace the old parts with better new parts.

If anyone has and advice let me know.

PS: the car has good new tires.
  2. novanutcase

novanutcase FEOA Member

In my opinion, the things you can do to improve most stock suspensions is to lower the center of gravity, center the control arms at peak arc and stiffen up the suspension travel.

Body roll can be controlled by using stiffer springs and a heavier duty sway bar. What I was taught by a Chevy engineer is at high speeds you want to keep the suspension as static as possible. In a double wishbone style suspension when the tire bounces either up or down the suspension follows an arc. The more bump or droop the further down the arc the tire goes. That arc will pull the tire in and out as the tire bumps and droops introducing instability. That's why race suspensions are so stiff and they set the ride height where the control arm is set at the peak of the arc. By isolating as much up and down movement in the suspension you improve the stability of the car at high speeds. When you drive a car in stock form out on the track it tends to be twitchy at high speeds. When the car enters a turn at high speed the suspension compresses pulling the tire in as it moves to one side of the arc. When it starts to decompress as you exit the turn the tire returns to the peak of the arc pushing the tire back out or passes the peak and goes back to pulling back into the car upon droop.

The reason race cars like to run solid bushings is to reduce as much movement in the suspension to induce as much stability as they can in the car. Panhard bars, 4 links, 3 links, Watts link. These are all variations on stabilizing movement on rear wheel drive cars.

John