Passing it on—pay-per-click ads

Discussion in 'Questions, Comments, Suggestions' started by jessenator, May 10, 2016.

1. jessenator

jessenator FEOA Donator

I'm not the domain owner, so I figured I'd pass this along here for best exposure.

I work in digital marketing. I get it. And I don't adblock it because it generates revenue to keep the forums up. However…

I don't know how much control you have over where the pay-per-click is coming from, and since it's not my place to tell you who and who not to take ads from, I'll just let you know I've had this happen and to look into who it was:

When I was trying to close the "infolinks" ad at the bottom (since it had a "x" close feature) I must've hit the ad itself (which hadn't actually loaded yet) and it took me to a recursive malware popup situation.

Thanks be to Chrome for the "prevent this window from generating more alerts" feature. Just thought you should be aware it's not all delicious Subway and State Farm ads :thumbsup:
    denisond3 likes this.
  2. 93scortluv

93scortluv Moderator

having tried to communicate with the new site owners since I left and have fallen on deaf ears, I'm believing the site is on cruise control now.
  3. Joey_Twowagons

Joey_Twowagons FEOA Member

I'm pretty wary of hitting the X to close out ads, on the grounds that it may well be actually a link to God knows what. And also, as you might have had happen, the page jumps around as crap loads up on it, so where you try to click actually twitches onto something else.

Yesterday I added the Mozilla ad blocker that blocks most, but not all ads. It leaves non-obtrusive ads, which seems fair enough.
  4. Pizzaman5000

Pizzaman5000 FEOA Donator

I had problems logging on with my phone for a straight week or two, I was concerned by the site being unsecured, and my page loading with every letter I would type. It felt like a password stealing scenario, so I lurked for a while. I don't get the little unsecured icon anymore by the way, and have had no trouble logging in this week.
  5. 93scortluv

93scortluv Moderator

Guys on chrome or mozilla offerings install ublock origin. and if need be go here for windows http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm

I seriously dislike ad's, but I'm an actual service provider myself to a small hosting company, we do not use ad's to "help with costs" since really, most places such like what verticescope is, has them selves in a data center that bandwidth prices/rentals are very cheap, so it's one of those things, feed the coffers.
  6. AG-Admin

AG-Admin Administrator

I'm here. what kind of ads are you guys getting? Can you show me some screen shots? i'll send them over to our ad manager team if there are any pop up ads and auto-audio ones that should not be visible to users logged in.

Thanks 93scortluv for reaching out to me.
    I would like to promote some mods, so send me a PM about this.

Lee