P1744 "torque converter stuck off" HELP!

Discussion in 'Tech & Repair' started by Warriorxone, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Warriorxone

Warriorxone New Member

Hi all,

Okay I just got the car running great (1999 Ford ZX2 2.0 DOHC). I just got a new air/fuel ration gauge along with some rain guards. So I'm driving around and I decide to stop and see the girlfriend for a bit. So on my way home bam the CEL came on. I figured it must be something with the A/F gauge... well today on my break from work I went AutoZone. The guy said it was a dealer code. P1744 he couldn’t tell me what it was exactly, he only said it had to do with the tranny. So I just googled it and this is what I got. "P1744 - torque converter clutch system mechanically stuck in off position". So now that I know what it is... my question is how do I fix it and more importantly what caused it so I don’t do it again. Mind you the car seem to run fine, in fact I would say it has been running a little better then usual. But I do want to fix this problem. I hear I should change the fluid along with the filter and get a new clutch solenoid or something like that. So what do you guys think? (Please no.... "You should go to manual"... I simply don’t have the time, money, or patients to deal with stick)

PS: i have been at this site a bunch as of late, finally got around to registering.

Thanks,
    Warrior
  2. 91LXSLEEPER

91LXSLEEPER New Member

this might help you but most of the time the torque converter wont go bad its rare most likely its the in the tranny. so i recommed you pull the motor and torque converter and looking at the input shafts there are 3 big,med,and small try to turn them by hand 1 at a time starting at small one if the two inner ones work then the pump is working try to turn the outer one if it turns than its the converter if it dont turn than the converter is good and throw that trans away. "but make sure you dont see big metal flakes in the converter"
    91lxsleeper, wa
  3. Warriorxone

Warriorxone New Member

Thanks, if it comes down to me ripping apart the car i will keep that in mind. any other ideas on where to start. for example i hear replacing the solonoid is a good place to start, how much are they and more importantly what are they called?

Thanks,
    Warrior