Mechanics

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Gamer92, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Gamer92

Gamer92 FEOA Donator

Does anyone here work as a mechanic for a living? How do you like it? Is the ASE hard to get?

I'm in my 20's and have thought about maybe obtaining my ASE. I'd say I'm pretty handy wrenching, but still have much to learn
  2. Gamer92

Gamer92 FEOA Donator

3. 04Svt

04Svt FEOA Member

I'm a mechanic but not for a shop. I have a full time job that pays really well plus company paid benefits for the family.
    I do all my mechanical work out of my home. I can charge decent prices since I don't have any overhead. It's also at my pleasure days off or durring the day if I get a call. My main thing about doing this is In California men always have to pay child support . I even have 50/50 custody of my two girls and I still pay,It's kinda the way it is .
    I have lots of people I work on their car for since I work in a huge distribution center, there is always someone that needs something.
    My suggestion to you if you want to be a mechanic is to get your certs and open your own shop. Working for a dealer or small shop will get you peanuts in the end as far as pay.
    Basically the shop is making the big money off of your skills and they need you.
    Having your own shop you can make all the money and you need to be fair on your shop labor to get your clientele up/good name. Do good work with fair prices and you should go far.
    A friend of mine opened his own performance shop with 22k he had in a 401k
    He is making a boat load of money and expanded his shop twice.
    Good luck either way I wish you the best.
    Hit me up if you have any more questions ?
    zzyzzx likes this.
  4. pextor

pextor Moderator Staff Member

I'm just a guy with tools. no inkling to be a full time mechanic.
  5. dchawk81

dchawk81 FEOA Member

Same. Most of the time I don't even wanna work on my own mess, let alone whatever abomination someone else might bring in.

Ask me to do your brakes or change your oil, fine. But don't bring me a diagnostic nightmare. No interest whatsoever.

Plus I'm in Pennsylvania where stuff is usually rusty by the time it needs worked on. Non-rusty stuff is still under warranty or owned by a nitpicky, garage storing DIYer who doesn't need outside help anyway.
  6. 04Svt

04Svt FEOA Member

Oh and you'll need a nice big tool box with tools.
    A friend of mine got just a nice big tool box .
    It was 10k