Drivetrain How to replace 1-2 shift solenoid on ATX 1991-

Discussion in 'How-To's' started by zzyzzx, Oct 14, 2013.

1. Supersedona

Supersedona FEOA Member

My 1994 has been having trans issues for the last couple weeks with little margin for downtime(since it stands as the company car for now) but tonight it protested heavily. Last week it stopped moving completely with the engine running fine right near my only trusted shop in York, let it cool off and it moved the rest of the way there. Complete filter blockage was the report.
    They did a full clean out of lines and pump and ran it clear. Worked for about a week(aka 600 miles) before I got wierd symptoms. Mostly flaring in 1-2 but goes away when warm and no sensation of TCC lock which is killing mpg big time. Now tonight I went to replace the struts and it would only move forward.
    Yes, R, N, D L all make forward. and it is a non-hesitant forward. On the way home prior it was wind-up and boom into gear when stopped. The thing is probably coming out to replace the TC seal anyhow, but this is a wierd sounding issue to me. Solenoids?
  2. zzyzzx

zzyzzx FEOA Member

I would be checking the filter again. Something is clogging it up, and perhaps whatever it is hasn't finished yet.
  3. zzyzzx

zzyzzx FEOA Member

No. It had been done once already. I'll have to check my records, but I'm thinking somewhere in the 165K-180K miles range, so it wasn't the original or had enough miles on it for me to want to change it again. If there is one thing I wish I had done it was to take a picture of how dirty the magnets were at the time I changed the filter. :eek:
  4. denisond3

denisond3 Moderator Staff Member

There are two gears you get from the transmission hydraulics, without the participation of any solenoids. They are low and reverse. This is based on the position of the "manual shifting shaft" that goes into the top front of the transmission. Even if that shaft was not getting properly rotated, I would not think it could be so bad as to let the valve body make it move forward when you called for reverse. But checking that the manual shifting shaft was moving okay would be one thing easy to do. It might be easier to see after the large rubber air inlet tube and air filter housing were out of the way. The shifting cable can get unclipped from the bracket and not move the manual shift shaft as it should.
    The business of the trans shifting into gear hard could be that what we call the 'kickdown cable' got adjusted too tight; but the trans should otherwise work okay if that was the only problem.
    But the filter being clogged and till misbehaving after being cleaned, leads me to think you have some overwhelmingly serious problem with a valve body not working right, and/or one of more of the clutch packs being worn out.
    I wish I had better news.
    zzyzzx likes this.