How do you back bleed your clutch?

Discussion in 'Drivetrains' started by DualXhst289, Dec 30, 2009.

1. DualXhst289

DualXhst289 New Member

1994 LX 5spd 1.9

Just replaced the clutch master cylinder and im trying to bleed the system out now and am running into nothing but road blocks. Ive tried the normal way...pump the clutch, hold the pedal down, open the bleeder. NOthing. The fluid level in the resivour isnt moving.

I tried what i thought was the way to back bleed. Hooked up my mytyvac so that where the air would normally exit to the pump and that to the bleed valve. Hooked the container and the tube to where it sucks it in. Basically so that the pump would suck the fluid from the container through the pump and into the bleed valve. Got about 4 pumps and the line spit off the pump and sprayed fluid everywhere. Is that the right way? Does the clutch need to be released or compressed? I had it compressed.

This is the only thing i could find that gave any idea on how to do it.

http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Fo ... 56&start=0

What am i doing wrong? Or how should i bleed the clutch system?
  2. nezwick

nezwick FEOA Member

Have you tried disconnecting all the hard/soft lines that run between the master and clutch and blowing compressed air through them? That would force out any obstructions.

Once you're sure your lines are clear, you should just be able to go about bleeding the clutch in the standard manner.

If you find no obstructions, try disconnecting the hard line at the slave and pump the pedal to see if any air or fluid is pumped out. If not, you may just have bought a faulty master cylinder. It really shouldn't be a difficult process so I'd say it's pretty much either an obstruction or a bad master cylinder.
  3. DualXhst289

DualXhst289 New Member

I was able to get it to bleed after alittle more effort. Thanks for the reply