Fan Control Relays??

Discussion in '2nd Gen 1991-1996 1.9L SOHC' started by dok33, Jun 12, 2005.

1. dok33

dok33 New Member

My radiator fan doesn't work unless I hard wire it to the battery. I've been having a/c issues at idle lately and I think this is part of it. I figured since the fan wasn't coming on at all it was probably one of the relays under the airbox, but I can't find them at any parts stores! I've been to 4 different places and found 1 of them, but it was $40 and they had to order it so I want to make sure there's nothing else I can check before ordering it. Is there anything else I could check that might be causing the problem? The fuse for the fan looks good.

Also, do these relays have anything to do with the a/c, because since I've taken them out the compressor isn't running anymore. Thanks!
  2. dcorwin822

dcorwin822 New Member

you could check the out shop book's diagnostics walkthough. i found that helps alot. as for your relay problem i dont think they should cost 40 bux a relay. i wouldnt pay that rediculous amount. try going out to an boneyard. you could prolly *pocket* BUY a cupple relays from them. and see if they fix your radiator problem
  3. dok33

dok33 New Member

Thanks for the reply, I thought $40 was a little steep too. I'm gonna call the dealer tomorrow and see how much they run there. I've tested everything else, tried jumping the fan switch terminals etc. and it seems like the only thing left is the relays unless there's something else in the system I don't know of.
  4. dok33

dok33 New Member

Well, I tried the H272 relay and no dice. It was $20 and the dealer wanted $45 for diagnostics so I'm still doin ok. I looked at the wiring diagrams in my manual and it looks like the fan is tied into the A/C relays as well but I can't figure out if those are the ones on the firewall on the passenger's side or not. Anyone know? Also, any idea which part number is the low speed fan relay? The tech at the dealer said that if the low speed is blown I wouldn't get any fan at all so I wanted to try that one, but no one can tell me which part number and location it is. Thanks!
  5. kar2n101

kar2n101 New Member

If you can get to the fan relays under the airbox (pain the a$$), try testing them with a digital multi-meter if you have one. By setting your meter to Ohms, you would touch the two prongs listed as "coil". If they are good, they will read 70 to 100 ohms. Mine read 69.5 which I take it as good. if they are bad, they would read 680 ohms or open (infinite) on the meter.

If you would like a visual on this testing procedure, check out this link: http://users.adelphia.net/~bpaskevich/i ... Relays.htm

Please note: the relays depicted in the above article are from GM vehicles, so our relays are not labled as such. Our coil pins on our relays are listed as "coil" not 85 & 86 as posted in the above article.

Hope that helps, rather than spending an arm and a leg on new relays only to find that is not the problem.
  6. fixitmattman

fixitmattman New Member

Both A/C relays are on the firewall behind the passenger side strut tower.

Matt 8)
  7. dok33

dok33 New Member

Thanks for the help guys. I tested the 2 relays under the airbox and the two on the firewall and they all read around 70ohms. I also checked out all my wiring and it all looks good so I'm really stumped now. I've got a fresh 9V so I think I'll try the continuity test on that website as well. Any other suggestions? The fan works when hardwired to the battery, fuse is fine, and it seems like the relays are ok, so I'm kinda confused as to why the fan isn't working

Edit: tried the 9v method and all 4 relays click when power is applied and test fine.
  8. kar2n101

kar2n101 New Member

What year is your car? Which engine? 1.8 or 1.9

Did you check the fuses and relay in the exterior fuse panel? (the ones under the hood)

What about the fuses in the interior fuse panel? (the one located under the dash)
  9. dok33

dok33 New Member

'96 LX 1.9L, all the fuses are good, even tried putting new ones in just in case. I think i'm gonna try a new temp switch since it's only like $10 and see if that does anything
  10. dok33

dok33 New Member

I was tinkering around a little more tonight and I think I may have found another possibility. The guy at the ford dealership said most of the time people with dead fans buy a H270 relay, which comes up as an EFI relay.

I was poking around in the underhood fuse box and noticed that a black and green wire goes from the 40A fan fuse to the H270 EFI relay.

I was hoping to get the bugger out and test it, but I can't figure out how to get it out of the fuse box. Anyone know how it comes out? I think this may be the problem. Thanks!
  11. kar2n101

kar2n101 New Member

Its a little tight, but just wiggle it back and forth and it will pop out. I snatch these from the JY from time to time to add to my "spare parts" bin ;-)
  12. dok33

dok33 New Member

Found out why it wouldn't come out--it was melted where it plugged in to the wiring! $20 at the dealer, $15 at autozone, gonna pick a new one up tomorrow and hopefully I'll have a working fan and maybe (fingers cressed) a/c! Thanks for the help
  13. dok33

dok33 New Member

Just thought I would post a followup since most of the posts I found when searching never had a resolution. The "EFI Relay" in the underhood fusebox is indeed tied to the fan and will totally kill power to your fan if it's blown/melted. IT will probably say H270 on it, but there's a new part number out there (150 something). Just as a note, the parts guy at the dealership said that 9 times out of 10 this is the fuse they replace for a dead fan and it's called an "a/c fan relay" in the parts computer.

Anyways, thanks for all the help guys, fan's workin' great and I charged up the a/c and it's blowin ice cold as well!