End result, custom-ish airbox.

Discussion in '1st Gen 1981-1990 CVH' started by JCraven94, Mar 12, 2017.

1. JCraven94

JCraven94 FEOA Member

Pointless? Possibly. Will it add HP? Probably not. Did it give me something to do? Absolutely. So I present to the group, my custom-ish airbox. Basically cut down a spare box, closed the diameter, added a 3" inlet and nipple for the PCV system (will be running a catch can), threw on a mediocre Bondo job, painted it flat black, and ready to run some piping (hoping the weather is nice when I take my vacation in a few weeks). It's a 2 piece design allowing it to be bolted to the throttle body then sealed up with a lid. There's a small piece of tubing cut down the center and slotted onto the lip of the base to act as a gasket (I hope). Planning on running a 3" system into the inner fender/bumper area. Really just a project of boredom, I'm hoping to get that nice wooshy induction noise and a little growl out of the 1.9. Feel free to comment or ask questions, just sharing for my entertainment!

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg 8.jpg 10.jpg 11.jpg 12.jpg
  2. nineteeneightyeight

nineteeneightyeight FEOA Member

Not bad! looks like fun anyways, will the hood shut fine?
  3. JCraven94

JCraven94 FEOA Member

Haven't tested it yet, but it should If I took my measurements correctly. It isn't too much taller than the original airbox.
  4. UnexplodedCow

UnexplodedCow FEOA Member

Looks like i could be fun, but I don't know how much "whoosh," you'll get. Years ago I had wanted to do something similar with using the throttle body/inlet from a 2.3 CFI engine, but never took the time to make an adapter plate.

I also had thought of going with individual injectors that batch fire, instead of a single injector, on the CFI manifold, for a short-runner design. The HO engine uses batch-fire on the injectors, so the stock ECU would've been fine with coping.
  5. JCraven94

JCraven94 FEOA Member

Well, did a test fit the other day and it seems promising, box is actually pretty airtight and you can feel the air being pulled into it, like enough to suck your hand in. And blocking it clearly affects the airflow as the engine bogs down, so I'm pretty stoked. I figured this would be the best way to do it so if it didn't work out I could just throw the stock air box back on. I have almost everything I need to run the full system minus the filter and a couple silicone couplers. Can't wait to see how she sounds.
  6. nineteeneightyeight

nineteeneightyeight FEOA Member

If it is that air tight then maybe you could use it as a turbo hat later.
  7. JCraven94

JCraven94 FEOA Member

Now that would be interesting haha
  8. JCraven94

JCraven94 FEOA Member

Well, here's the big reveal. After hours of work and a lot of cutting, bending, welding and grinding, here it is. Got the catch can all plumbed up. I wasn't really expecting that much performance wise, but I do have to say that I've noticed a few improvements. Throttle response is way snappier, I used to have a bit of an unsteady idle, it's actually steady now, and I feel like I picked up the slightest bit of torque. It's no rocket ship, but it makes a difference in traffic and on hills to have a little bit of extra oomph. Overall I'm really pleased with the end result. Oh and of course, it definitely sounds better, even the exhaust sounds like its breathing better.
    final 1.jpg final 2.jpg final 3.jpg final 4.jpg
    myfavecoupe and Tnashua like this.
  9. Tnashua

Tnashua Gearhead / hot rodder with a soft spot for Scorts

Now you need to dress that valve cover up a bit... ;)
  10. JCraven94

JCraven94 FEOA Member

Next on my list haha I'm using my vacation time at work to take a whole 5 days dedicated to my car. Big changes coming!