Ebay center armrest

Discussion in '3rd Gen 1997-2002 2.0L SOHC' started by Dan GSR, Jan 30, 2017.

1. Dan GSR

Dan GSR FEOA Member

Took a gamble and ordered a $38 generic armrest off ebay. Color matches well, and height is near perfect

20170130_154226_HDR.jpg
    copcarguy, luislop and Gamer92 like this.
  2. Gamer92

Gamer92 FEOA Donator

Do you have a link for this?
  3. Dan GSR

Dan GSR FEOA Member

4. pextor

pextor Moderator Staff Member

looks like the installation is a little fiddly. color match looks good. rear cupholder is worthless with it installed.
  5. luislop

luislop FEOA Member

dude i love it, thank you for sharing. how did you manage to install this on the unit?

it appears to come with a cupholder style base, but it looks like you did something to it and installed it in the square compartment between the handbrake and the cupholder , what was your technique.?
  6. Dan GSR

Dan GSR FEOA Member

Cup holder adapter doesn't fit. I cut a piece of wood. Wedged it into the square and screwed the armrest to that. I need to go back and paint the wood grey to finish it off
  7. luislop

luislop FEOA Member

i see, yeah that was what it looked like, though i thought for a second that you had used some hardening synthetic. to fill the square then drill the base of the armrest to it.

just bought mine today and should be here in a couple of days. i am seriously thinking on using a grinder to cut the "cup" shape design into more of a square, then using hard bond rubber, press polyurethane or something like that to fill up the rest of the rectangle hole.

so as to make it look more matching straight up and any imperfections would be covered by the "skirt" that is on top of the cup thingy.

but your way definitely seems like a more solid approach.
  8. Dan GSR

Dan GSR FEOA Member

Cup adapter would make it too high
  9. luislop

luislop FEOA Member

well, i luckily i think i can also grind the bottom to make it shorter. but we will see. will try to post a pic when i am done with it .

driving without an armrest sucks cojones. lol its one of those things that you don't miss until you have driven a car with a comfy one on a long drive.
  10. DanDidIT

DanDidIT FEOA Donator

Rear cup holder was worthless before installation :) Has anyone gotten a cup to actually stay in the cup holder?
  11. DanDidIT

DanDidIT FEOA Donator

How is the height as you have it - is it comfortable to rest your arm on it while driving? I thought it looked a little high, but it is hard to tell from just a picture. Thanks, it looks good
  12. Dan GSR

Dan GSR FEOA Member

Height is good for me. I'm 5'7''
  13. pextor

pextor Moderator Staff Member

the factory armrest goes into the cup holder. I've never bothered with putting a cup back there.
  14. DrewsBrews

DrewsBrews FEOA Donator

Another e-bay armrest option. Has a decent size storage compartment in it with a vinyl/rubber tray liner. Folds up so I still have access to the little cubby in the console.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I just hacked down the abs bracket it came with. no cracks yet, but I try not to lean on it too much.
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
  15. thetubeamper

thetubeamper FEOA Donator

Can we get a link to the listing please?
  16. DrewsBrews

DrewsBrews FEOA Donator

17. thetubeamper

thetubeamper FEOA Donator

I've looked and looked on ebay for a gray version of what you posted but nobody's selling it at the moment, but I'm definitely going to keep an eye out as I really like the armrest you posted, seems like a much better fit and easier (and more concealed) install than the OP's.

Its a shame someone has an actual 3rd gen armrest on eBay for only $25 with free shipping right now, but it's missing the cup part of the mounting bracket, as well as the bracket that goes under the cup, but it's brown and my interior is gray anyway.
  18. DrewsBrews

DrewsBrews FEOA Donator

Could contact one of the sellers. They might try and get em in stock on their next order as long as they are still produced.

IMO the OP one looks pretty good. I didn't notice the wood in the photo until they mentioned it. and a little paint would hide it even more. Screws could be sunk in from the e-brake slot and potentially the back cupholder to keep it solid and retained. Any screw access holes could be covered up with plastic trim retainers. (Such as these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/50-Trim-Pan...ash=item1c28ef9505:g:WpwAAOSwZkJUR0C~&vxp=mtr )

The mounting on mine is ugly but functional... Only redeeming part is at least it is a little tucked away next to the seats. Here is a shot from the rear.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2017