Drive axle won't come out

Discussion in 'Tech & Repair' started by wa1dh, May 22, 2010.

1. wa1dh

wa1dh FEOA Member

While replacing my tie rod ends and ball joints, I screwed up and ripped the CV boot on the driver's side axle. To make a long story short, I now have a replacement axle which I am trying to install. The problem I'm having is that I can't get the old axle out of the transmission. I've tried prying with screwdrivers, pry bars, and wedging a ball joint fork in and hammering on it. I also tried a slide hammer with the axle puller attachment (rented from Autozone) but the tool is very difficult to fit in, and the threads on the tool happened to be stripped, making it even harder to use.

I'm looking at $130 labor to take it to a garage up the road tomorrow morning if I can't get it out. Any last suggestions before I put it back together and drive it over? I've tried everything I could find on the first 10 pages of the drive train forum, and so far nothing has worked.

Thanks.
  2. Dave94LX

Dave94LX FEOA Donator

yep, they are a pain to get out. I usually just take a pry bar, and get under the lip of one of the beefy parts of the axle, then pry, turn, pry, turn, pry, turn... etc until it pops out. That usually works for me.
  3. wa1dh

wa1dh FEOA Member

Dave:

Thanks for the tip. I've been trying that all day with no luck, using different size prybars. However, I just got another slide hammer from Autozone (one that wasn't chewed up) and after a few hard slams, it popped right out.

So for anyone else who ever has to go through this, here's the way: Get a slide hammer and axle puller attachment. If you have your tie rod/ball joint disconnected (which I did), slide the strut tower forward to make some room. Stick the axle puller attachment on from the top of the axle. Slide it over to about the 11 o'clock position on the axle, and feed the slide hammer end through. Screw it on, tighten the locknut, and slam the living hell out of the slide hammer until it pops and you see transmission fluid spilling out. Remove the tool, yank the rest of the axle out and you're done.
  4. LOWETGT

LOWETGT FEOA Member

Glad it worked for you! I have had luck with using two bars to put equal pressure on both sides, or just use a big @ss bar.
  5. zzyzzx

zzyzzx FEOA Member

I'm impressed that you were actually able to use a slide hammer tool to get the thing out. I was thinking that there was probably no way to fit the thing in.
  6. wa1dh

wa1dh FEOA Member

I had the ball joint and tie rod end removed, so I pushed the strut assembly as far forward as it would go so I could fit the tool in. If I hadn't done that there would be no way to fit it. It took a little while to figure that out.
  7. cklaubur

cklaubur FEOA Donator

I've always just removed the strut assembly completely. Never had a problem with the slide hammer and axle puller. Makes for a good stress remover, too!

Casey
  8. zzyzzx

zzyzzx FEOA Member

Removed completely or just disconnected and pushed to the side?
  9. wa1dh

wa1dh FEOA Member

Pushed to the side. I only disconnected the bottom (tie rod and ball joint were removed) so it was just hanging there and I could push it out of the way.