Changing Plugs in 2000 ZX2

Discussion in 'ZX2 1998-2004 2.0L DOHC' started by mp240d, Apr 19, 2007.

1. mp240d

mp240d New Member

How easy are the plugs to change in a 2000 ZX2? The dealer wants $175 to do this job which seems to be a rip off. Are there any special tools I need to do this job. Any help is appreciated. I've only had my ZX2 a couple of weeks and I love it.
  2. ryanrules

ryanrules FEOA Member

it's a 10 minute job so long as the sparkplug boot doesnt rip.

you pull off the spark plug boots (preferrably one at a time so you know which one goes where)

get your 5/8" spark plug socket and crank them babies out.

the plug gap for your new plugs (so long as they arent platinum tips that you aren't supposed to gap) are printed under the hood. it's somewhere in the vicinity of .055" i believe

i use anti-seize on the threads, just cause i've had them get nice and stuck before.

do it yourself, you'll be happy you saved 160$. we're here to help if you somehow manage to screw up
  3. madmatt2024

madmatt2024 FEOA Member

If I recall the zx2's plug gap is .050.
  4. ryanrules

ryanrules FEOA Member

i would have thought it was the same as the spi engine since they use the same ignition pack and everything
  5. zx24me

zx24me New Member

Topeka Kansas USA, Planet Earth...for now.
    Buy a spark plug boot pulling tool.
    Under $10 and saves having to buy a new set of wires.
    $10 or $30+. Your choice.
  6. etherdonkey

etherdonkey New Member

no hassle

just changed mine the other day, took maybe 10 minutes. On the gap issue, i'd just get the bosch platinums or platinum+2's (they do not need gapped) and use those. They preform much better than those conventional copper core plugs. Thats if you don't mind paying $6 a plug.
  7. madmatt2024

madmatt2024 FEOA Member

Don't get Bosch plugs! My dad had the +4's in his zx2 and after about a year it started to skip. Replaced them with Autolite platinums and haven't had a problem since.
  8. FFZX2

FFZX2 New Member

Interesting. Been using their plugs for years and never had a problem with them. I use the Bosch Platinum Plus 2. Did your dad contact Bosch? They usually make good on bad products. Might be worth a try.
  9. madmatt2024

madmatt2024 FEOA Member

10. FFZX2

FFZX2 New Member

Bosch carries a money back guarantee on their products. I read through that post a couple of times and did not see where anyone contacted Bosch to inform them of a problem with the plugs. Having been in the retail management business for many years I can tell you that the number one way a company learns of quality control issues with their product is through customer feedback. Guess I am showing my age here because that's the way we used to do things.

The rule of thumb used to be that the higher the performance demanded from the vehicle, the more expensive (higher price used to equal higher quality) your components will be. Determine what type of performance you will using the most and buy your components appropriately. Just MHO.
  11. LuzZx2

LuzZx2 New Member

It's easy to do and just be careful with the wire boot plugs. I wouldnt use Bosch as they dont seem to get along with Fords. Just use motorcraft platinum or some good copper plugs you can find. You'll need a socket wrench with extention, a sparkplug socket, a gapper tool, diaelectric grease and antiseize grease helps. Hopefully the spark plug socket will have a rubber boot inside so you can pull the plug out of the chamber if not you might need a pair of needle nose pliers. The gap is .048 to .052. I experimented with gap and found that .052 may get better gas mileage than .050. I'm still experimenting so I dont know for sure. Just be careful with the boots on the wires and you'll be fine and doing the job right should take a half hour to an hour. Smear the dialectric grease on the end that connects to the wire boot or put a dab inside the boot. Put a little antiseize on the threads of each spark so future removal will be easy. Make sure gap is uniform on all plugs. It has been easier to change the sparks on my zx2 than any other car I've had. You should try an explorer, that's hell.

What the dealer wants is an insane rip off. The whole operation shouldnt cost you too much more than $20 unless you want to replace the wires as well.
  12. redvei98

redvei98 New Member

its an easy job, the hardest part would be setting the plugs in the right. i go with new wires on every time i change spark plugs