Cam Position Sensor Replacement

Discussion in 'ZX2 1998-2004 2.0L DOHC' started by Boston03G35, Jan 14, 2009.

1. Boston03G35

Boston03G35 New Member

I received an OBDII code to replace Cam Sensor.

Does anyone have a picture of the engine bay showing where this sensor is located?

Car is a 2000 ZX2.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thank You

DJ
  2. mellowness65

mellowness65 New Member

no pics, its a pain to get to above, not sure about below. It's on the front of the motor at the transmission, a single T-30(?) torx screw holds it on.
  3. madmatt2024

madmatt2024 FEOA Member

^ That is the crankshaft sensor. The cam sensor is somewhere on the cylinder head and should be easy to replace.
  4. Boston03G35

Boston03G35 New Member

on the cylinder head itself, under the VC?
  5. madmatt2024

madmatt2024 FEOA Member

No, it should be stuck on the side somewhere. I don't remember exactly where it is. Here is a picture of it, it should be easy to find.
    [​IMG]
  6. Boston03G35

Boston03G35 New Member

Awesome thanks for the help guys, I am sure I will be posting frequently to keep this car running still for my girl.

Will report back after I locate it, but that wont be for a few days, it's gonna be -30 degree wind chill here in Boston the next few days...forget looking for this thing till it's above 10 degrees.

Thanks again
  7. ZX2ner23

ZX2ner23 New Member

If you look at the lower right of the valve cover the cam sensor is in the side of the head just below the valve cover. It's small black and has two wires going to it.
  8. PowerEE

PowerEE New Member

Hope it is the sensor

FYI
    Hope the cam sensor fixes the problem, but you may check the timing belt also. Should be pretty easy to remove the dust cover on top and inspect. Also if the belt has not been changed in 60k I would recommend changing it before it breaks.
    I had the code to replace the cam sensor a while back. I replaced the sensor and the car still ran a little rough. I checked the timing belt and it was in bad shape and likely jumped a cog. The bottom idler pulley fell apart and destroyed the belt. That was one fix I do not want to do again.

Again hope it is just the sensor for you.
  9. gamma500

gamma500 New Member

A 0340(?) code can mean the cam position sensor is bad but...check the wires for continuity to the connector to the driver's side of the TB, the nearest one of 2 to the driver's..unclip and spray with cleaner and brush if the 2 wires from the sensor show no breaks. Unfortunately, this code will be thrown with a faulty crank sensor and ECU problem also. You can test the sensor by inserting a voltmeter with jumpers so the car will run and show the VAC (set to AC not DC) flutuates from 0.2 up to .05 and more as you rev it . Sensor can like mine have intermittent problems and pass this test only to throw the same code after a reset. If you order a new one from an online source, some of them will only fit if you shave the plastic connector "fins" on the new piece. Costs $17.00-$23.00...don't know what Ford wants.

Located on top, front driver's side of head right next to valve cover, held in by one 8mm bolt...clean bolt, use antiseize and don't over tighten or you will strip the threads in the head.
  10. gamma500

gamma500 New Member

Confirm that your cam timing is not off...this will throw a 0340 code also, more often the reason for this code than a defective cam sensor...