Automatic seat belt stuck

Discussion in 'Tech & Repair' started by HyperactiveSloth, Jan 6, 2010.

1. HyperactiveSloth

HyperactiveSloth New Member

I've heard of others that have had the same problem with Gen 2 ('94), so figured someone on here might have had a go at fixing it and would have some advice.

The driver side shoulder belt just stopped halfway up the track one day. It was still trying to move it constantly (had to tear the pillar apart and unplug the thing for fear of draining the battery with the constant switch on/switch off.

Before it stopped completely, it would sometimes bog down like the motor was losing power. One day it retracted halfway up the track to about 2/3 the way back through the straight section, and stopped, even though the motor kept clicking on, pulling, then switching off.

Now, I'm not even that concerned with fixing it unless it's something simple. I would almost rather just figure out how to move it into locked position and leave the motor unplugged for good. Problem is I can't for the life of me figure out how to move the belt through the track. It doesn't quite feel "jammed" as I can move the carriage about 1/2" in either direction, but that's it. I figured there's a lock of some sort that prevents it from moving without the cable being pulled, but when I had the pillar taken apart and the seat out of the way, I could not find any way of manually moving the cable without tearing apart the motor, and did not want to do that on a car I haven't even paid for and without knowing if I'd actually be able to make a difference if I did. I've always had bad experiences with taking apart electric motors and would rather leave that to a pro. However, I also don't want to get a ticket for the seat belt (not to mention safety).

So, anyone know how to or if it possible to manually retract the shoulder belt carriage into the locked back position so I can just leave it there and buckle it whenever I drive?
  2. juggalo

juggalo New Member

i would get seatbelts from an mx3 and never deal with this again. it's also this first thing i'd do before gettin the mx3 center armrest. but the only time i had trouble with mine was just before my ignition switch went out. it was also messin with my heater motor and my lock out shifter for an automatic.
  3. 88scortgt

88scortgt FEOA Member

If you don't have the hex tool that came with the car, get some Allen wrenches. (6mm, I think) There is a small round cover on the rear kick panel near the floor to access the belt motor. The seat belt motor has a hex drive you use to manually retract the belt. There is also a blue wire with a connector behind the cover that you need to unplug to make sure there is no power to the motor.
  4. Wilberforce

Wilberforce FEOA Member

Those seat belts are the worst thing in the whole car. but i did figure out how to fix them for under 5 bucks. not too hard to do either. If fixing these seat belts has not been covered yet, i would love to write a guide to fixing them including pictures!
  5. white-lightning

white-lightning FEOA Member

Post it up as my drivers side has been down for two months. I can't see anyway of fixing it, but would like to see your way.
  6. Wilberforce

Wilberforce FEOA Member

k i will write it but give me time to take pictures and such.
  7. BOSS302man

BOSS302man FEOA Donator

My passenger side belt started doing this about 12-15 years ago. It only did it once in a great while at that time. Now it does it about once a month to every two months. I'm lucky enough that when it sticks, I just un-hook the belt and it continues and things are normal again. I do spray synthetic lube in there every so often to keep it going. I would suggest that if your belts are working, keep them lubed.

Would love to see your little write up to, that may help my little problem.
  8. zzyzzx

zzyzzx FEOA Member

Did you try cleaning out the switch in the door latch? Mine was gummed up with grease. It's worked perfectly since I cleaned mine out around 8-9 years ago. That and it's the practically first thing that the factory service manual says to check.
  9. juggalo

juggalo New Member

like i sad, mine was ignition switch related so there's another thing to check on.
  10. HyperactiveSloth

Just tried yesterday to get the seat belt carriage to retract manually, and nada. I put in a hex head and it wouldn't turn, even put the bit in a socket and cranked it with a ratchet. I put enough torque on the thing to snap a 2x4 and it wouldn't budge at all. It'll move either way a few degrees, but then it stops. It doesn't seem to be a matter of something jammed in the track either, because the belt carriage can move freely about 1/2 inch either direction, and when I crank on the motor shaft it locks up well before taking any slack on the carriage. It's almost like the cable itself is bound somewhere.

It's looking like my only option now is to swap the whole seat belt with one from a JY. I noticed above that an MX2 is compatible? What other cars would be a direct swap for this? I would have much rather just locked the existing one in the back position and done without the power belts, but it doesn't look like that's possible the way it's jammed. Perhaps since the existing one's toast I might try cutting the cables off the motor, putting a vice grip on the end of it and seeing if I can force it that way.
  11. HyperactiveSloth

OK, finally broke down and cut the cable. Pulling that did nothing, just like cranking the motor shaft. So, I removed the entire assembly (minus motor) and took it to the bench. Turns out the jam was caused by the cable working its way down into the slot between where the cable should be and the track. After lots of poking and prodding with a flathead screwdriver and twisting the cable I got it popped back in. Then I slid the carriage back into it's retracted position, put the bracket back on and installed into car. I then put a small clamp onto the cable to lock it in place and cut off the rest of the cable and wires, just cuz they do nothing now.

I now have a fully non-functional power shoulder restraint. lol

Off for inspection I go.
  12. olesenator

olesenator New Member

Nice work lol
    im sooo glad we dont have automatic seatlbelts up here in canada :)
  13. ignuf

ignuf New Member

Ok, After an excruciating process to get to post this... here we go. I had the exact thing today. I did exactly what you did for the same purpose down to a T and Everything went ok. I am not sure if i had to cut the cable but I did. I kinda wish I jsut took the whole thing out to the bench. I probably knowing what I know now, would have manually pulled the seatbelt clip, all the way to the front and work the wire back onto track with my screwdriver and hammer, and then I think the alen wrench at the motor might have wound it all the way back. At which time I would have left the motor disconected permanently. Then I wouldn't have cut cables. That bothers me but it works. Off for inspection. about 1-2hrs total labor on that, not bad for a novice.