1995 Coolant Flush and Radiator...specific questions, help!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen 1991-1996 1.9L SOHC' started by orion, Mar 14, 2007.

1. orion

orion New Member

I have to replace the radiator, but I need a coolant flush too. Should I leave it on, flush the system, and THEN swap it out? Should I remove it and flush the remaining system, then put the new one on? Should I use that Prestone coolign system treatment to clean stuff out before I do this? Anybody?

Otherwise, I have some step-by-step queries regarding the procedure, taken from the chilton's manual.

1) Remove the thermostat.

2) Reconnect the water hose connections without the thermostat in place.

Now, removing the thermostat also requires removing the heater inlet hose...should I reconnect this hose after I reattach the housing, or leave it be? If I don't, the thermostat housing will have a spout for coolant/water to shoot out of, it seems.

3) Close the petcock.

*The heater core must be flushed separately from the engine so that deposits from the engine do not plug the core*

4) Tag and disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core at the firewall.

With these removed, won't coolant be leaking out once I flush the system? Can I flush the system leaving these in place and then flush the core afterwards? Also, if the heater inlet hose is left disconnected from the thermostat housing, won't disconnecting it at the firewall be basically removing the hose for the time being?

5) Disconnect the lower radiator hose and attach a high pressure water hose to the radiator hose.

Which end of the radiator hose is disconnected. The end connected to the radiator? And which direction is the water supposed to flow? "Up" the radiator? Through the thermostat housing, through the engine?
    This is the instruction I am most unclear on. I don't get how you can attach a water hose to the radiator hose and at the same time, have it be the draining hose.

6) Position the lower radiator hose so that the flushed coolant will be emptied into a suitable container.
    7) Turn the water ON and OFF several times to break up contaminants in the cooling system.
    Repeat until water is clear.
    Etc...

I'm good after that. Please help! I tried reading the how-to on the forums, but the same questions are unanswered for me, as I don't think it was for the 1.9 engine.
    I need this done yesterday!
    Thanks all
  2. racetracer

racetracer New Member

I would remove the lower radiator hose and the thermostat housing,heater lines. Then just flush the engine with a garden hose while it's apart ,then re-assemble the thermostat housing with a new t-stat and gasket
    since your installing a new radiator ,I would sugest flushing the heater core also

Install the new radiator after flushing the engine

Be sure to use the right mix of coolant

It's less expensive to purchase the concentrated coolant , rather than the pre-mixed. As you will probably only need one gallon of concentrate VS two gallons of pre-mixed (one gallon of concentrate makes two gallons of ready to use coolant)
    Capacity is 6.3 Qt or 6 liters automatic transmisson
    5.3 Qt or 5 liters manual transmission

No need to use any cosly products , water from the garden hose works just fine.
  3. Ignatz

Ignatz New Member

I allways drain the coolant and replace with distilled water untill it comes out clear. Depending on how crapy the system it could take 3 or 4 drain and refills. And I only do this when the temperature is well above freezing. Then just add enough straight antifreeze to come up with a 50% or greater mixture. Then once a year, I drain the stuff and replace with an allready mixed antifreeze with distilled water.
  4. bigh4th

bigh4th New Member

the hanes manual is right about the heatercore, and since its such a PITA to replace on these cars, you should flush it seperate of the engine. Also, use your old radiator for the flushing proceedure. No need to break crap loose and run it through the new radiator.

1. Remove t-stat and put housing back on engine. Reuse the old gasket since small leaks won't matter at this point (replace it after flushing). Remove upper radiator hose from radiator.

2. Remove both lines from heatercore and plumb them toghether with any kind of pipe or joint that will fit in the hoses.

3. Stick a waterhose in the radiator. turn it on full blast. Start the engine. This will allow the engine to pump clean water in, and push the dirty water out. Keep this going until the water comming out of the top hose is clean. Once everything checks out, shut the engine off and kill the water.

4. with a spare piece of heater hose (or whats on the car if you can get two bare ends), hook one end to the heater core and put the other end to the water hose (you may need to use a sprayer nozzle for this). Flush the core until the water comes out clear. Swap the hose from one heater core connection to the other and flush again. You may have to repeat this procedure a couple of times depending on how dirty your core was.

After that, everything is reverse of removal.

-harry
  5. bigh4th

bigh4th New Member

double.

-Harry
  6. bigh4th

bigh4th New Member

Tripple?!?! WTF?

-Harry
  7. fixitmattman

fixitmattman New Member

I'd do them both at the same time to cut down on the amount of coolant you need to buy. This link may help:

http://www.feoa.net/modules.php?name=Fo ... highlight=

Changing the rad isn't much more work, the biggest PITA is going to be the lower rad hose, the clamp is a bitch to get off. Other than that it's straight forward. I wouldn't even worry about pulling the heater core hoses, unless you're coolant is really old and shitty it's not going to cause any trouble. Just run a garden hose though there with the rad cap off, and the drain cock on the bottom open. That will work all the water through no prob.